PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Robson leaves Newcastle

ritchie_50
30th August 2004, 10:35
Just confirmed now. Shame he had to leave in bad circumstances.

Now who for Newcastle?

smevans
30th August 2004, 10:35
Originally posted by ritchie_50
Just confirmed now. Shame he had to leave in bad circumstances.

Now who for Newcastle?

Gullit ! :D

ritchie_50
30th August 2004, 10:37
With Shearer as his assistant!!

It's the worst kept secret in football ;)

Nottsman
30th August 2004, 10:43
Houllier & Shearer apparently till the end of the season

smevans
30th August 2004, 10:50
Originally posted by ritchie_50
With Shearer as his assistant!!

It's the worst kept secret in football ;)

Along with us getting David Platt back :)

ritchie_50
30th August 2004, 10:59
Originally posted by Nottsman
Houllier & Shearer apparently till the end of the season

I can't see that going down well on Tyneside.

daz90
30th August 2004, 11:02
Its a shame it had to happen, the mans a legend and a gent..

Who next for Newcastle?? who knows, i cant see it being Shearer though tbh, he does'nt have the experience needed, so they will probably go out and get a foriegn manager, or Steve Bruce.

smevans
30th August 2004, 11:21
Originally posted by daz90

Who next for Newcastle?? who knows, i cant see it being Shearer though tbh, he does'nt have the experience needed, so they will probably go out and get a foriegn manager, or Steve Bruce.

Alan Curbishly ?

daz90
30th August 2004, 11:29
Originally posted by smevans
Alan Curbishly ?

Every team in the prem who have been looking for a new manager have been linked with Curbs.

And i cant see Newcastle getting a different answer to the rest of us.

Curbishly wont leave Charlton.

I bet O'Neil will be linked with the job too.

ritchie_50
30th August 2004, 11:38
If Newcastle are doing a Spurs and leaving the vacancy open for the rest of the season then they should go for O'Neill next summer. He won't leave Celtic during the season but might well have done a couple of months ago, if Newcastle had shown initiative. He would be the man to sort the club out and keep the players in line, which Robson never could.

If they're going for an English manager then Curbishley or Allardyce are better bets than Steve Bruce IMO. And they would have a good chance of getting either but again they are committed to their clubs and won't want to walk away during the season. They might want to get a foreign coach in as well.

Newcastle probably will have to make a part time appointment till the end of the season before getting the man they want in the summer. Whether Sky are right in saying Gerard Houllier is the man, I don't know. Only the other week he was suppose to have bought a house in Southampton.

Another theory is having Alan Shearer groomed to take over for next season. But Newcastle would be making a big mistake.

Bull_306
30th August 2004, 11:43
So Shearer is bigger than the club :eek:

audiophilia
30th August 2004, 12:21
Originally posted by daz90

agreed.

sad day

Athers
30th August 2004, 12:42
Poor timing, they should've either parted company this summer or not at all. Newcastle always have a poor start anyway but he was losing control to be fair.

Shephard's said the next manager would be a Geordie which gives the immediate options of Bruce (who's all Man United anyway) or Shearer who has no experience and if it goes wrong what then? He's seen as such a god before he starts it'll be tough to sack him than normal. He'd have to walk out probably.

Have a happy retirement Bobby.

Geordie_Wilky
30th August 2004, 13:00
Originally posted by Athers
Shephard's said the next manager would be a Geordie which gives the immediate options of Bruce (who's all Man United anyway) or Shearer who has no experience and if it goes wrong what then?

he then counterd that statement, saying it wasn't necessary if he didn't feel there was one available with the right credentials.

To be honest Shephard should be blaimed for not sacking him in the summer, not for sacking him too early in the season. I just hope they have plans for a good manager who won't stand for any bull off the likes of Dyer and get the best out of the players, because in terms of talent we are easily top 5 material but we are not a team which is sad

Horsey
30th August 2004, 13:04
I hope it is Bruce or someone like Curbs/Allardyce/O'Leary (think we can leave Boro & former Manchester United assistant McClaren out from the young english ones)

We don't see English managers getting these top jobs these days. It was Santini and Benitez this summer. English clubs just don't gamble on managers from below these days (look to Italy as an example - Roberto Mancini gambled on by Fiorentina, gambled on by Lazio, then goes to Inter). Nothing like that happens here.

Geordie_Wilky
30th August 2004, 13:09
I'd have Curbs, Sam Allardyce or even O'Leary but not the others. I'd prefer Martin O'Neil ahead of the lot like and will be disapointed with Steve Bruce or Mclaren because they have dull types of football at their teams.

Athers
30th August 2004, 13:23
Originally posted by Geordie_Wilky
he then counterd that statement, saying it wasn't necessary if he didn't feel there was one available with the right credentials.

Ah, fair enough then I didn't hear that comment. Should I be worried about losing Sam really? :(

dundee_boy1985
30th August 2004, 15:08
A sad day

Billwill
30th August 2004, 16:00
Sir Bobby's post match comments "we've got to work to turn this situation round" sounded like ideas from a man whose run out of ideas.

But the guy has put his soul into trying to do the best for us since our sexy football under Gullet turned most of us off sex.

I thank him and am grateful for his toil. Now it's time to making a careful choice so we can pick ourselves up.

All the best to Sir Bobby.

YipJaapStam
30th August 2004, 16:01
The irony of it all.

Gullit dares to leave Shearer out and is shown the door.

The same applies to Sir Bobby.

The next manager will be whoever Shearer wants it to be.

Skitters
30th August 2004, 16:03
Sky linking Houllier with the job with Shearer as number 2....

StretfordEnd
30th August 2004, 16:03
Originally posted by YipJaapStam

I wonder who that will be ?

Billwill
30th August 2004, 16:20
Originally posted by YipJaapStam
The irony of it all.

Gullit dares to leave Shearer out and is shown the door.

The same applies to Sir Bobby.

I doubt if many Toon fans would agree with that. The Shearer-on-the-bench fact is only a co-incidence. Gullet had blamed Shearer (and Rob Lee)for the pitch being the wrong shade of green. He was well out of order.

But Sir Bobby treated some of his players maybe too well- certainly Dyer. But as for Al on the bench- that was fine by us- but too much made of that. All players, if they look like they need a break, will be rested.

PsychicPscouse
30th August 2004, 17:19
Hard justice on Sir Bobby--a fine, decent man who needn't have one second of shame on a brilliant career. Too bad there couldn't have been a gracefully-orchestrated retirement over the summer instead of the ignominy of an early-season sack. But that would be expecting too much of Sheppard, who is plainly a twat...:dunce:

Next in the hot seat?? Shearer?? Houllier?? The inmates truly have taken over the asylum...:eek:

No worries about Newcastle, then...:p

Goodbye and good luck, Sir Bobby! You deserved far better...:clap: :wave:

FallowfieldHUFC
30th August 2004, 17:47
Having met Sir Bobby a couple of times I really feel for him at this minute. His position had been totally undermined so making his role completely untenable. Freddie Shepherd really doesn't come out very well in all this (what's new there), if he didn't want to renew his contract why not part company with him in the summer at least the man would've known where he stood. They may not be in the bit of mess they're in at the minute.

Now the new guy whoever it may be must whip into shape the countless number of prima donnas in that dressing room. With the very large influence Shearer commands at the club I'm sure he'll be consulted as to who the new man should be.

Managers now seem to be increasingly undermined from within the club by players or the board, Bobby deserved better, as did Sturrock. Sad thing is the players seem to be held less and less accountable for poor results these days. :no:

Nottsman
30th August 2004, 18:25
On my way back from the Notts match today, heard the radio, and now Terry Venables is apparently the favourite...

Geordie_Wilky
30th August 2004, 19:31
Bobby Robson hasn't, contrary to Sky Sports, been sacked because he rested Alan Shearer. To be honest that is the only thing he has done right this season. Bobby's buys in the transfer market have been terribly, hence Shepherd consulting the other senior member at the club, Shearer, on who to buy over the summer as it was clear to everyone bar Sir Bobby a new man would come in next season.

Bobby hasn't laid the law down to certain members of the squad and even when players like Dyer have let him down he has still backed them and played them again showing that disciplin from the old man was a joke. Rumours over the training methods from various sources, ie players who have left, has to have more substance to it and aparantly disciplin there is am abosolute joke too. Bobby constantly stuck with players like Dyer and Bramble et al despite the fact they were obviously shite and continued to play people like Lee Bowyer out of position, and when he finally plays him in his position and he looks class, he sticks him back on the right wing when everyone is fit. :rolleyes:

There is a lot wrong with Sir Bobby has been doing over the last 12-18 months and a UEFA cup run really papered over the cracks of a terrible season last year. BUT I would like to thank Bobby for the last 5 years. He is indeed a legend but I am a supporter of NUFC not Sir Bobby Robson and it was in the best interests of the club to seek new management.

Suarez
30th August 2004, 20:21
Yes I have to agree with your points. Sir Bobby is past his sell by date. He tried his best for Newcastle, but sometimes your best just isn't enough.
Newcastle need a strong young manager, to get the club back on an even keel, then make up lost ground on the leading pack.
Who that man is, time will tell. But Martin O'Niel should be high on the shopping list.

spiderman
30th August 2004, 20:53
from what i remember, five years ago Ruud Gullit left Shearer on the bench against Sunderland (of all teams) as Newcastle lost 1-2...that was terrible decision on top of many other terrible decisions, so Gullit completely deserved the sack, regardless of how massive Shearer's ego is.

five years on the decision to rest a slowing and peaking Shearer to allow Kluivert a game seemed justified to me despite the defeat...the dutchie did after all manage to score and looked sharper than Shearer has in recent games.

Shearer (and his ego) is obviously bigger than Newcastle the football club and it seems like nothing is ever going to change that. he wouldnt make a good manager, IMO. perhaps Newcastle should bide their time and identify a manager who has some pedigree and would be capable of taking the club forward.

StretfordEnd
30th August 2004, 21:05
In my opinion Newcastle are too big a club to be managed by a totally inexperienced man like Shearer, though whether Shepherd agrees with me is debatable.

If the obvious candidate, O'Neill, were to come in he wouldn't stand for Shearer having any input regarding team matters, so the situation wouldn't really improve. Steve Bruce is also very much his own man, and wouldn't countenance Shearer or the Board sticking their noses in.

It sounds like the only man who the Board and Shearer could get along with is Shearer, but as I say I fear it would be a huge gamble.

PsychicPscouse
30th August 2004, 22:30
A gamble which(as I recall)worked a treat for Liverpool in 1985, when Joe Fagan stepped down and the board installed star player Kenny Dalglish in the hot seat...;)

Shearer would need FA permission, right? Because he doesn't have the proper coaching credentials(same as Eddie Gray last year)? Not sure if El Tel would be the man;the Toon Army might remember that his last contribution to the EPL was helping Boro beat the drop...:no:

Fine mess on Tyneside, certainly...:p

Geordie_Wilky
30th August 2004, 22:40
Originally posted by spiderman
from what i remember, five years ago Ruud Gullit left Shearer on the bench against Sunderland (of all teams) as Newcastle lost 1-2...that was terrible decision on top of many other terrible decisions, so Gullit completely deserved the sack, regardless of how massive Shearer's ego is.

which, if you read my post, is what has gone on regarding Sir Bobby. I don't think all this Shearer bashing is justified to be honest, I know he is unpopular but he even stated in todays chronicle (obviously released too late for the Robson sack news) that he hasn't had any rift with Robson and understood his decision to rest him. Also you see a laughing and joking Shearer on the bench v Villa, the complete opposite to 5 years ago. Shearer may well be a disaster as manager but there is no harm in giving it to him till the end of the season. It is sick or swim but i'm confident we won't be relegated regardless so the situation can be assessed come the summer. Add to that Martin O'Neil is in no position to take the job as he is on compasionate leave from Celtic

audiophilia
30th August 2004, 22:44
One too many legends at St. James'...one had to go. I'da opted for Shearer. As a manager in 'training', he should have realized the value of a 'common front'...

StretfordEnd
30th August 2004, 22:48
Originally posted by PsychicPscouse
A gamble which(as I recall)worked a treat for l***rp**l in 1985, when Joe Fagan stepped down and the board installed star player Kenny Dalglish in the hot seat...;)

The difference being that Dogleash took over a hugely successful side, Shearer wouldn't be doing that.

Hamill
30th August 2004, 22:48
Shepard has clearly shown that Shearer is bigger than NUFC, although i do think that Robson was way past it, and was only kept on because of who he is.

Nice man though, and all the best :clap:

Geordie_Wilky
31st August 2004, 11:16
Originally posted by audiophilia
One too many legends at St. James'...one had to go. I'da opted for Shearer. As a manager in 'training', he should have realized the value of a 'common front'...

so if Robson had gone and Shearer had stayed that would have changed the disciplin of all the other players how? I think people are looking at the wrong scapegoat here, its the Kieron Dyer's et al you want to be looking at

ritchie_50
31st August 2004, 12:03
Originally posted by StretfordEnd
The difference being that Dogleash took over a hugely successful side, Shearer wouldn't be doing that.

And King Kenny didn't have to deal with aload of pamapered prats more interested in their next night out, then their next match.